Castle Kilbride National Historic Site

Castle Kilbride National Historic Site
Southwestern Ontario
60 Snyder's Rd. West , Baden , Ontario , N3A 1A1
519-634-8444

Description

Castle Kilbride was built in 1877 by Flax & Linseed Oil King, James Livingston and named after his birthplace of East Kilbride, Scotland. Seen from the road it dominates its surroundings with its clean Italianate design capped by a towering belvedere. Its amazing interior decor classifies it as artistry of international significance.

The lavish entrance hall presents an arcade of illusionary columns. The artwork appears to be three dimensional, but closer inspection reveals it to be painted on flat surfaces in such a manner as to provide the illusion of depth. Much of the interior is masterfully painted in this trompe l'oeil style.

Kilbride served the Livingston family from 1877 to 1988 when James' granddaughter, Laura Louise, her husband decided to seek smaller accommodation and less onerous maintenance. In 1988 there was a a huge four-day auction and the home sold to a developer. Five years later the Township of Wilmot purchased the property and began an intensive restoration including the addition of a new municipal office. The magnificent Castle was brought back to her former glory and was soon designated as a site of national historic significance by this Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada in 1995.
The Castle is a magnificent four level home that will interest people of all ages. The Museum is family friendly and we welcome children to try out the ever popular "Castle Eye Spy Tour."

Visit www.castlekilbride.ca for full list of events and exhibits.

  • Hours of Operation : Regular Hours: Tues - Sun 1pm to 4pm; Summer Hours (May 17-Sept 2) Tues-Fri 10am to 4pm; Sat & Sun 1pm to 4pm
  • Wheelchair Accessible : Yes

Map View